Diseases like cancer do not discriminate. They do not come with an alarming bell and can choose anyone- regardless of any gender or a race. According to World Health Organization (WHO), cancer is the second leading cause of death worldwide. It killed over 8 million individuals in 2015 alone.
The WHO report also stated that cancer of lung, liver, stomach, colorectal, and breast are among the most common death causes due to the disease. Its major causes include three external categories: Physical carcinogens, Chemical carcinogens, and biological carcinogens.
Some of the common risk factors to contract cancer involve unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, and extreme use of tobacco/alcohol. Some types of chronic infections are also risk factors associated with the disease.
How to reduce cancer risks?
WHO officials and health experts worldwide release cancer prevention guidelines and methods regularly to eliminate the risks associated with it. According to them, people should stay physically active and not consume alcohol or tobacco. They should also get it checked at an earlier stage to cure the disease and save the sufferer.
What are sign/symptoms of cancer?
Every cancer type has different symptoms. Some most common symptoms include persistent cough, blood in the stool, low blood count, breast lump, change in urination, blood in urine, indigestion, and others.
WHO and several other non-profit organizations around the world use different approaches to make people aware of cancer types and prevention methods. You, as a responsible individual of the society, can also contribute to raising awareness for cancer. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to support people suffering from the disease and educate others about it. All you require are some effective ways to spread awareness.
Here are some inexpensive and effective ways to raise awareness for cancer, its facts, types, and treatments:
1. Social Media: Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and various others can help you to spread the right word on cancer and its prevention. You can start a hashtag, post engaging content, and launch helpful campaigns that could guide people on the disease. Through the posts, you can also encourage people to donate for individuals who are battling against the deadly disease.
2. Cancer Awareness Program/Road-shows: If you believe you can educate others on cancer, then you can start an awareness program. By talking to people or distributing pamphlets to them, you can educate people on the disease.
3. Join Cancer Events: Several non-profit organizations plan and organize events on cancer to raise funds. You can also be a part of such events. This will not just improve your knowledge on the subject but also teach you how to create awareness or collect funds.
4. Wear To Support: There are many types of products that you can design inexpensively to support your movement against cancer. You can get customized t-shirts, caps, cancer wrist bands, and various items to wear them to show support for cancer sufferers. You can also distribute these products to others and ask them to help your movement to educate people on cancer to grow bigger.
5. Plan An Event: You can plan an event like ‘cancer run walk’ to show support for cancer patients and encourage people to donate for the cause.
It is necessary to raise awareness for cancer at a time when the disease is killing millions of people worldwide. You can choose any of the above-mentioned methods to start your fight against the disease.