Madhya Pradesh is the ideal tourist destination for all those who wish to get an idea about the wonders that ancient India had in store. It is still a store house of many wonders which made what India is today. Combined with the natural rustic beauty of this landscape, Madhya Pradesh is truly a place that ought to be toured at least once.
The star attraction of Madhya Pradesh is none other than Bhopal. There are plenty of good hotels in Bhopal and hence if you want to a comfortable accommodation during your stay, it won’t be difficult finding one. Apart from the many wonders that this city has in store, there are also quite a number of places that are located near the city that you ought to check out. If you are planning for a Madhya Pradesh tour, then these are some of the places near Bhopal that you can visit:
- Pachmarhi: This is the only hill station in Madhya Pradesh. It is located at a distance of about 178kms away from Bhopal. The ideal time to visit this place would be during the summer months, but since most people tour Madhya Pradesh during the months of October – March, it is best to visit it sometime during October. There are plenty of places to visit within this small hill station itself and you can easily spend a day or two here. There are some classic examples of colonial architecture lining the roads of this hill station as well.
- Khajuraho: One of the star attractions of Madhya Pradesh, this is a place that you have to visit when in Bhopal. The temples of Khajuraho are famous throughout the world. The Jain and Hindu temples are particularly known for their carvings that are believed to have been done sometime during the 950 AD to 1050 AD. The most notable feature of these temple carvings is the expression of innocent love and the erotic and aesthetic depictions. It is about 385kms away from Bhopal and you can book a car and head out for this place early in the morning.
- Sanchi: This is another world-famous tourist destination which is located very near Bhopal. Sanchi is a small town in the Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh and houses the Sanchi Stupa which was built by Emperor Ashoka. Sanchi is only 53kms away from Bhopal and hence you can visit it, explore it and come back in a day. Sanchi is often included as a part of sightseeing in many top hotels in Bhopal.
- Bhedaghat: The marble rocks that are about 100ft height line the Narmada River here. Do stay a night here to enjoy a boat ride in moonlight in the river here.
- Mandu: Located about 288kms away from Bhopal, there is a small place called Mandu which is well known for its architectural wonder. It is said that these architectural carvings are a testimony of the love between Rani Roopmati and Prince Baz Bahadur.
So, these are just some of the places that you can visit that are located near Bhopal.