Most non-lived in areas of the home usually end up being the dumping ground for items not frequently used, seasonal bits and bobs, or things you don’t use in the main home any more.
Garages, sheds and utility rooms soon become no-go areas as stuff builds up when it isn’t stored properly. According to This Old House, only 30% of us use the garage to store a car, so whatever we do have in there should be stored well.
Ideas for Improving Garage Storage
1. Upcycle old and unused toy storage boxes and cupboards to store away decorating gear and half-full paint pots. Store them all together and neatly label each box so you know exactly where to go to and find what you are looking for.
2. Use old desk supplies such as pencil pots and file holders to store small items such as nuts and bolts, paintbrushes and rulers. Charity or thrift stores usually stock a good range.
3. If you’re getting rid of any old pieces of furniture, consider if they will be of use to store things in the garage. Old bookshelves are great for storing plant pots, seeds, watering cans and gardening equipment through the winter. As soon as spring appears, you’ll be able to see exactly what you have in store to begin getting the garden ready for summer. Alternatively, use an old desk with a small bookcase screwed on top to construct a workbench or craft table, keeping all your tools within easy reach for small projects.
4. Use old waste paper or kitchen bins to store things such as lengths of wood, brooms or bamboo garden poles. It stops them falling all over the floor if you’re trying to store them against the wall.
5. Recycle old towel rails and use them to hang items such as outdoor clothing. Leave wet clothes to dry from them instead of taking them straight into the house.
Make Sure It Looks Good From Outside Too
Finally, consider completing the transformation of your garage with a new garage door installation in Dunstable. You’ll find a huge range of doors to suit your style at http://garagedoorsrus.co.uk/garage-door-installation-dunstable/.
Making a few upgrades to your garage will soon make it the go-to room for all your neatly organised bits and pieces.