If you are planning for a trip to this city this vacation, then make sure that you get your booking done at Varanasi hotels near ghats. Though these hotels will be a little bit more expensive than the rest, they will be totally worth the money. It was always helps if you stay near the ghats, since they are the hub of all activities in the city. Here are some of the places in the city that you ought to visit on your trip:
- The DashashwamedhaGhat: Kick start your trip by visiting the most famous attraction in the city. This ghat is particularly known for the sandhyaarti or the evening prayers that are offered to the Ganges here, every day! This is a splendid sight that you cannot afford to miss when in the city. Gather at the ghat by 5:30 in the evening to take your seats on the many steps of the ghat to witness this wonder, which begins at 6.
- Vishwanath Temple: Considered to be one of the 12 jyotirlingas present in the world, this temple is the seat of Hindu pilgrimage in the country. Countless devotees flock to this temple to pray here at least once in their life. Dedicated to Shiva, the presiding deity of this city, this temple is said to be more than 1000 years old. However, the old temple was destroyed by Aurangazeb. The structure that we see today was built later by Rani Ahalya Bai. When seen from above, one will find that the temple tops are plated in gold.
- Sarnath: Just about 45mins away from Varanasi is Sarnath which is a must visit on your trip.Book an auto or hire a car from the Varanasi resort near ghats where you will be staying and head out to this quaint place. You will find the Deer park over here, where Buddha is said to have preached his first sermons after attaining enlightenment. You will also find a stupa built by Ashoka and remains of the ashok chakra and the four lines in a museum in Sarnath.
- Banaras Hindu University: This is one of the most prominent universities in the country which was founded in 1916 by Pandit Mohan Malviya. Even today it continues to be one of the most revered seats of learning in India.
- ManikarnikaGhat: Well if you want to visit a place that is steeped in mythology, then do visit the ManikarnikaGhat. You will find the manikarnikakunda here, which is believed to symbolize both life and death. It is also known to be the busiest cremation ground in the country, where the funeral pyre never goes out. Hindus seeking freedom from the cycle of life and death often wish to be cremated here since one is said to achieve this freedom when cremated here!
Now that you know about some of the most interesting and must visit places in Varanasi, do make sure that you cover them all on your trip!